We are officially announcing that we are running two sessions of the San Bernardino Forestry Challenge, the first session is November 8-11, the second session is November 15-18.
We thought this page would help you most efficiently if it was organized as a checklist with links to items you will need as you work through the participation process.
- File fieldtrip request paperwork with your district, using information from the site address document and event flyer. If necessary, you can use 2022’s Teacher Evaluation Form Summary to make the case for participation with your administration.
- Plan a recruiting meeting for students to gauge interest using this notice for the school bulletin.
- At the recruiting meeting, use the website to explain the program. Useful items on the website are the TV News story, a 1-minute intro video, a sample schedule, and What Happens at Forestry Challenge. The 2023 Info page also has basic information, including a suggested packing list and directions to the event site.
- Contact parents and share the parent page and parent letter with them, which provides parent-relevant information about the Forestry Challenge. Ask them to complete and return the age appropriate release form (to be posted) for their student.
- We are asking that you complete the adult release form (to be posted) so we have your insurance information.
- Use the for student page for your study sessions. Students will be trained in 2 separate tracks for training, but due to limited time at the event, not everyone will get to learn everything at the event. For best results, study ahead of time.
- For information on purchasing your own set of tools, see our recommended tools list. All of these tools can be purchased from Forestry Suppliers, Inc (Put it in your cart and leave it for a week or two and they will reach out and offer a discount!)
- Registration for 2023 is FREE, thanks to a new source of grant funding. We will be asking for a refundable deposit to hold your position at the beginning of the school year. A Fillable Deposit Invoice is available here.
- A registration form, which includes your final student roster will be due 12 days ahead of the event. The student roster will require the following information: Name, grade, gender, T-shirt size, number of years attended prior, medical concerns/medications, disabilities, dietary restrictions, gender identity concerns, language assistance.
- Still have questions? Contact us anytime!