El Dorado Forestry Challenge – October 25 to 28, 2023
The El Dorado Forestry Challenge had 111 students from 15 schools in attendance. The focus topic for this event was to collect data on the preexisting forest conditions at the Taylor Property to assess it’s fire safety, ecological health, and economic potential. The students determined what could be done with the 150 acre property and recommended future treatment options that align with the goals of the land owner.
The results below are out of a possible 250 points:
- First Place: Mira Loma Team 20 – 215.5 Points.
- Second Place: Mira Loma Team 21 – 214.2 Points
- Third Place: Golden Sierra Team 10 – 207.8 Points
- Fourth Place: Golden Sierra Team 11 – 203.5 Points
- Fifth Place: Summerville Team 32 – 190.2 Points
Northern Summit Academy won the Pacing Contest, with Summerville High School and Folsom High School coming in second and third, respectively.
Other schools at the Challenge were: Argonaut, Bret Harte, Calaveras, Florin, Grant Union, John F Kennedy, Mountain Oaks, Piedmont, South Tahoe, Sequoia Grove Charter, and West Campus High School.
2023 El Dorado Forestry Challenge Group Photo