San Bernardino Forestry Challenge – November 10 to 13, 2021
The final event of the 2021 Forestry Challenge season was punctuated with brisk but clear weather and the 64 students from 10 schools who participated braved the wind and cold to perform well on the field test and collect some great data at Camp Hinckley near Running Springs. Camp Hinckley’s forested area has not been actively managed since 2007 when the Slide Fire burned through the property at a high intensity. Teams evaluated the 21.5-acre parcel to recommend a path forward that combines fuel treatment and reforestation with the goal of protecting the camp from severe damage if and when there is a wildfire.
The results below are out of a possible 250 points:
- First Place: Palisades Charter High School Team 12, 203.0 points
- Second Place: Palisades Charter High School Team 11, 201.8 points
- Third Place: Canyon Crest Academy Team 1, 201.3 points
- Fourth Place: Oxford Academy Team 9, 198.5 points
- Fifth Place: Palisades Charter High School Team 10, 194.0 points
Littlerock High School won the Pacing Contest with a pace of 65 feet, 6 inches, with Vista High School and Canyon Crest Academy placing second and third.
Other schools at the event were: Charter Oak High School, Charter University Prep, Citrus Hill High School, Cypress High School, and Esperanza College Preparatory School.
2021 San Bernardino Forestry Challenge group photo