Santa Cruz Forestry Challenge – October 13 to 16, 2021
2021 Event Program | 2021 Focus Topic Question | 2021 Presentation Scoresheet
2021 Student Evaluations | 2021 Teacher Evaluations
2021 Photo Album | Highest Scoring Presentation
The 2021 Santa Cruz Forestry Challenge was held for the second time at Redwood Glen in Loma Mar, California. One of the highlights for the students this year was the opportunity to collect data on the northern edge of the CZU Complex Fire on Redwood Glen property to assess the post-fire conditions of their Coastal Redwood and Douglas-fir trees. Students reported on anticipated volumes of these species if Redwood Glen decides to remove fire-killed trees under a Notice of Emergency Timber Operations. A total of 41 high school students and 9 teachers from 6 schools participated.
The results below are out of a possible 250 points:
- First Place (tie): Woodside High School Team 4, 198.0 points
- First Place (tie): Granada Hills Charter High School Team 9, 198.0 points
- Third Place: Woodside High School Team 5, 188.3 points
- Fourth Place: Calaveras High School Team 8, 186.3 points
- Fifth Place: Calaveras High School Team 7, 161.2 points
Calaveras High School won the Pacing Contest, with Ross School placing second and Orion Academy and Learning for Life Charter School tying for third.
2021 Santa Cruz Forestry Challenge group photo