Forestry Challenge Championship – April 19 to 21, 2018
The best of the best from throughout the state gathered recently in Pinecrest for the first ever Forestry Challenge Championship. The event was relatively small, with 35 students from 8 schools participating. Forester Brady Dubois of Sierra Pacific Industries led the focus topic, asking the students to write a silvicultural prescription for a 49 acre unit in the company’s Lyons Tract. After collecting data on plots set up in the unit, students used the information, which included trees per acre, species composition, and basal area, to decide which prescription was most practical, economically sound, and in compliance with the California Forest Practice Rules. During the Challenge, teams of students also completed a field test to assess their technical forestry knowledge and data collecting skills. Prior to the start of the event, most school groups toured the SPI mill in Sonora.
The results below are out of a possible 250 points:
- First Place: Sacramento New Technology High School from Sacramento, 207.2 points
- Second Place: Shasta Charter Academy from Redding (Shasta County), 198.6 points
- Third Place: Oxford Academy from Cypress (Orange County), 196.9 points
- Fourth Place: Foresthill High School from Foresthill (Placer County), 192.3 points
- Fifth Place: Charter Oak High School Team from Covina (LA County), 181.9 points
Other schools at the Championship were: Acalanes, Franklin, and Grant.