Shasta Forestry Challenge – September 25 to 28, 2022
With a great start to the fall event season, the Shasta Forestry Challenge had 72 students from 15 schools in attendance. The focus topic for this event was conducting an inventory and post-treatment evaluation of two units of the North 49 Forest Health Recovery project, a 42,400 acre project designed to increase fire resiliency and restore pre settlement conditions, located on the Hat Creek Ranger District of the Lassen National Forest. Students used the data they collected to evaluate the effectiveness of the treatment and predict stand conditions into the future.
The results below are out of a possible 250 points:
- First Place: Mt. Shasta High School Team #8, 201.0 points
- Second Place: Fall River AND Nevada Union High School Team #7 and #10, 185.8 points (tie)
- Third Place: Shasta View Academy Team #14, 181.0 points
- Fourth Place: Mt. Shasta High School Team #9, 178.5 points
- Fifth Place: Emerald Earth Home School Collective Team #5, 171.7 points
Butte Valley High School won the Pacing Contest, with Nevada Union High School and Northern Summit Academy coming in second and third.
Other schools at the Challenge were: Etna, Elk Creek, Anderson Union, Argonaut, Anderson New Tech, Orland, Trinity, Weed, and Northern Summit Academy.
2022 Shasta Forestry Challenge Group Photo