San Bernardino Forestry Challenge – November 6 to 9, 2019
The final event of the 2019 Forestry Challenge season was punctuated with brisk but clear weather and the 117 students from 16 schools who participated braved the wind and cold to perform very well on the field test and collect some great data at the Sawmill Tract near Twin Peaks. The Tract is in the middle of an ongoing fuels reduction project and is also in the process of becoming CALFIRE’s newest Demonstration State Forest. Teams evaluated the forested area of the 120-acre property to determine if the forest is in a fire-safe condition and suggested goals and uses for the Tract once it becomes a Demonstration State Forest.
The results below are out of a possible 250 points:
- First Place: John W. North High School Team 25, 233.2 points
- Second Place: Charter Oak High School Team 8, 222.3 points
- Third Place: Oxford Academy Team 24, 221.5 points
- Fourth Place: CA Academy of Mathematics and Science (CAMS) Team 2, 213.0 points
- Fifth Place: CA Academy of Mathematics and Science (CAMS) Team 3, 205.5 points
Oxford Academy won the Pacing Contest with a pace of 65 feet, 6.5 inches, with Anaheim High School and Marco Antonio Firebaugh High School placing second and third.
Other schools at the event were: Sonora High School, Citrus Hill High School, Orange Vista High School, Lynwood High School, San Jacinto Valley Academy, Littlerock High School, Cypress High School, Coachella Valley High School, Riverside STEM Academy, and Vista High School.
2019 San Bernardino Forestry Challenge group photo