Santa Cruz Forestry Challenge – November 15 to 18, 2017
Wet weather during training and data collection did not dampen the enthusiasm of the 110 students and 22 teachers from 14 schools participating in the 2017 Santa Cruz Forestry Challenge. We traveled to a 100 acre Soper-Wheeler tract in Bonny Doon to assess the growth of the unit, which is due for harvest. The data revealed a stunning 27% increase in volume over the last 12 years, information vital for the students, who recommended a target volume that can be sustainably removed in the upcoming harvest.
The results are out of a possible 250 points:
- First Place: El Dorado School Team 10, 221.7 points
- Second Place: El Dorado High School, Team 8, 214.3 points
- Third Place: Franklin High School Team 13, 210.3 points
- Fourth Place: Ponderosa High School, Team 16, 206.0 points
- Fifth Place: San Lorenzo Valley High School, Team 23, 203.7 points
Reedley won the Pacing Contest, with Marysville and Elk Grove High Schools coming in second and third.
Other schools at the Challenge were: Acalanes, Benicia, Coalinga, Delta, Elk Grove, Ponderosa Green Careers, Trinity, and Woodside.
2017 Santa Cruz Forestry Challenge group photo