San Bernardino Forestry Challenge – November 9 to 12, 2016
The students from Southern California are always so happy to come to the forest, and the participants of the 2016 San Bernardino Forestry Challenge were extremely focused and enthusiastic. Kanta Morinaga, a 3-year participant from the California Academy of Math and Sciences (CAMS) in Carson, summarized his experience in prose. Here is one verse:
Going on night hikes
Not seeing bright lights
It’s so cold, men wear tights
We’ve reached new heights
Students brainstormed non-timber forest products at our host site, then created a business plan to quantify potential income for Green Valley Lake Christian Camp.
The results are out of a possible 250 points:
- First Place: Los Osos High School, 215.3 points
- Second Place: CAMS Team 3, 200.7 points
- Third Place: CAMS Team 5, 198.0 points
- Fourth Place: Hawthorne Math and Science Academy Team 8, 197.0 points
- Fifth Place: CAMS Team 6, 196.3 points
Los Osos also won the Pacing Contest, with Vista and Valencia High Schools coming in second and third.
Other schools at the Challenge were: Anaheim, Charter Oak, and Littlerock High Schools, and Oxford Academy.